Angry New Yorker

Wednesday, July 23, 2003
 
Til Death do us Blog?

I'm still not sure of what to make about this whole blogging frenzy. Here I'm writing this on one of the several blogs I run, with varying frequency, but do I care that this is a blog? Not really. Before this I just updated items on my various websites, so blogging, to me, is more like picking up a notebook PC and walking out to the backyard with it than it's some massive democracy-enhancing culture redefining experiment, as some maintain. Writing it writing. Ideas are ideas. But where I part companies with the drum-beaters is that I've never agreed that "knowledge is power", as the Sir Fracis Bacon maxim states.

Rather, the right knowledge in the right place at the right time is power. Everything else is mere trivia. So if blogging, the web, or even smoke signals, helps get that information to the right place at the right time they're all rightly power conduits. Focusing on the semantics and method of blogging is like focusing on what guage wire your house is using. Unless is causes a fire, who cares? You care about the electrons moving through that wire. And that's all I have to say.


Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?